Claire Bidwell Smith has been through more than most people can even imagine. After losing both parents to cancer at a young age, Claire struggled with grief, anxiety, and depression for years before discovering her calling as a grief therapist. Today, Claire has a beautiful blended family and is a successful author of three books focusing on her experiences with grief and death. Claire has made it her mission to educate the masses about grief and loss and to change the culture of how society understands and views death. Her new book, Anxiety: The Missing Stage of Grief, covers these topics and provides coping mechanisms for anyone struggling as she once did.
In this episode, Claire and Jennifer share personal stories of how anxiety and depression have affected their lives. Claire discusses her painful past and reveals that she is grateful for those experiences because they helped shape the person she is today. She talks about the role technology has played in societal anxiety, especially in children. Finally, Claire discusses her unique family dynamic and how, at times, it can be both a blessing and a struggle.
- 01:28 – Introducing Claire
- 02:17 – How anxiety and depression have affected Jennifer
- 04:08 – Claire discusses how her pregnancy has been thus far
- 06:58 – How Claire coped with losing both of her parents at a young age
- 09:36 – Claire and Jennifer share their experiences with divorce
- 12:10 – Talking orgasms with Claire
- 13:40 – Claire discusses her memoir, Rules of Inheritance
- 14:19 – The path Claire took to becoming a grief therapist
- 17:38 – Claire’s new book, Anxiety: The Missing Stage of Grief
- 18:30 – How technology has led to more societal anxiety
- 20:07 – Anxiety and children
- 22:53 – How Claire grappled with anxiety following the loss of her mother
- 26:02 – The physical and mental effects of anxiety
- 29:30 – Claire talks about her husband Mark
- 31:51 – Claire dishes about her unique family dynamic
- 34:28 – The anxiety Claire felt going into her second marriage
- 36:40 – Claire discusses how emotional and difficult her pregnancy has been
- 38:03 – The general grief online course Claire offers on her website
- 39:39 – What does Claire think about when she hears the word MILF?
- 39:56 – What is something Claire has changed her mind about recently?
- 40:26 – How does Claire define success?
- 40:48 – Lightning round of questions
Connect with Jennifer
🎙 🎙 🎙
Podcast production and marketing provided by FullCast.