Kelle Hampton is a mother, blogger, and author of the New York Times best-seller, Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected, which centers on the birth of her second daughter, Nella. Kelle’s story is an inspirational journey that perfectly captures the triumph of the human spirit. After giving birth to a daughter with Down Syndrome, Kelle’s world was forever changed. While this wasn’t what she planned for her life, Kelle realized that the happiness she found in her daughter Nella was more than enough for her.
In this episode, Kelle and Jennifer discuss Nella’s birth story and the range of emotions Kelle felt during that week. Kelle discusses her family dynamic and the choice to celebrate Down Syndrome rather than hide or glorify it. Kelle recalls emotionally charged moments of motherhood and the transformation she went through personally throughout this journey. Finally, Jennifer and Kelle advocate for parents to start talking to their kids about Down Syndrome, dyslexia, and other topics that society has deemed taboo.
- 01:20 – Introducing Kelle
- 03:03 – Kelle talks about life pre-husband and children, including her childhood
- 05:06 – How Kelle met her husband, Brett
- 06:14 – Kelle describes the birth of her daughter, Nella
- 09:08 – Kelle recalls the moment the doctors told her that Nella had Down Syndrome
- 12:15 – The inspirational speech Kelle’s sister gave when she first visited the hospital
- 14:26 – The importance of writing the birth story a week after Nella was born
- 17:40 – Kelle educates the audience on Down Syndrome
- 23:25 – How Kelle, Brett, and Nella communicate with one another
- 24:56 – Why Kelle and her family made a commitment to celebrating Down Syndrome
- 27:03 – How Nella’s birth led to Kelle becoming more aware and compassionate
- 28:58 – Jennifer and Kelle discuss the importance of ‘naming and claiming’
- 32:32 – Advocating for parents to talk to their kids about Down Syndrome
- 35:09 – Kelle talks about her work and holding onto her identity as an individual
- 38:28 – Kelle urges women everywhere to act and start working towards their dreams
- 40:31 – Kelle’s upcoming projects
- 42:45 – What does Kelle think about when she hears the word MILF?
- 43:28 – What is something Kelle has changed her mind about recently?
- 46:01 – How does Kelle define success?
Connect with Jennifer
🎙 🎙 🎙
Podcast production and marketing provided by FullCast.